Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Birthday Madness

Posted by Katie:

Tuesday afternoon. 

P1020066
My birthday crown!

The party started in the afternoon.  It all started with the sandwich lunch that mom made us and the boys threw it at me!  The boys who I put in charge of the party, said they had a kids event planned in Christopher’s room.  It turned out to be a videogame tournament.  I won of course and as a prize I got a sharing size skittles!  Then we lazed around for a bit and then started it for real!

We began with a special game of birthday charades only it didn’t last very long because we couldn’t think of very many hard ones and all the others went past in a flash.  And then we played a made up game of PartyMakers and PartyCrashers which is the same as a game of Resistance if you know what that is.  Then was an event that I was totally NOT expecting …

P1020094
Birthday cake and surprises.
PRESENTS!  I got four things a stuffed koala , a box of card games and a video game.  Also, our friends Jon and Giovanni got me a great shirt from Jamaica!  We decided to play some cards while mom made dinner, first was one of my favorite games Crazy 8’s which all the cards had pictures of kids that age in stead of numbers and then we played another game which was in the box.  It was called Old Maid which was totally new to me and really fun as well.  Then it was time for my Birthday dinner!  My mom had prepared lettuce raps, it was one of our favorite meals and if you would like to know the recipe it will be written at the bottom of this blog.  After a scrumptious dinner it was time to finish off the party with the movie Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2!  I couldn’t have wished for a better Birthday!

P1020120
My cool Jamaica shirt.  Thanks Jon and Giovanni!
LETTUCE RAP RECIPE:

(Katie asked Mom to write this and I am going to write our awesome, easy Lettuce Wrap recipe here but the truth is on the boat I just use a Lettuce Wrap Seasoning Packet  which I found in Florida (you buy it just like a gravy packet or taco seasoning packet.)  I don’t know if I have seen them in Canada though.

16 Boston Bib or butter lettuce leaves, rinse whole leaves and pat dry.  Set aside.
1lb. lean ground beef or turkey or chicken (browned & then minced up small) – I like turkey the best
1 T. cooking oil
1 lg. onion, chopped
2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
1 T soy sauce
1/4 c. hoisin sauce
2 t. minced pickled ginger
1 T. rice wine vinegar
Asian chile pepper sauce (optional)
1 (8oz.) can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 t. Asian (dark) sesame oil

Brown the meat over high heat in 1 T. cooking oil, stirring often and reduce heat to medium if necessary.  Drain, set aside to cool.  Cook the onion in the same pan, stirring frequently.  Add garlic, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, ginger, vinegar, and chile pepper sauce to the onions and stir.  Stir in chopped chestnuts, green onions, sesame oil and cooked meat.  Continue cooking until green onions begin to wilt (about 2 minutes.)
To serve, allow each person to spoon a portion of the meat into the lettuce leaf.  Wrap the lettuce up like a burrito and voila!

I also usually cook a brown rice to go in them  (just to add a little starch) and also bean sprouts and grated carrots make nice additions.

P1020091[4]
Mmmmm, lettuce wraps!


Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment